Most of these links are ones I visit on a daily basis (or nearly so), so there shouldn’t be many dead links here. If you spot one, please let me know! This list does not include individual radio stations’ sites, simply because they change too fast for me to keep up here. You can find those at another site I maintain, 100000watts.com.
Think your site belongs here? Drop me a line…
Radio Industry Regulations
- Federal Communications Commission - The homepage for the USA’s broadcast regulators
- FCC Daily Digest - Where the FCC tells us what it’s up to each day, updated by 1:30 pm weekdays
- CRTC What’s New - Where Canada’s regulators let us know what they’re doing
Radio and TV Industry News
- NorthEast Radio Watch - Wait, don’t leave! NERW keeps you updated every week here at fybush.com
- NERW Archives - But if you have to leave, go read up on what you missed back in the early days…
- The Radio Journal - Your editor’s “day job” – a weekly update on what’s happening in radio engineering. Don’t forget to sign up for the free e-mail updates!
- Inside Radio - On-line news from Inside Radio, sister to The Radio Journal
- AllAccess - Another daily update on what’s happening in radio, geared towards music programmers
- Romenesko - Jim Romenesko’s indispensible collection of the day’s top media stories
- RW Online - Daily industry news updates from the publishers of Radio World
- Broadcastingcable.com - Daily updates from Broadcasting & Cable magazine
- ShopTalk - The daily gossip sheet of the TV news industry
Local and Regional Radio/TV Sites
- The Boston Radio Archives - Sister site to fybush.com, this is the premiere source for station listings and histories for the six New England states and adjoining areas in Canada. Don’t miss Garrett’s tower photos!
- DCRTV - One of the oldest and finest regional sites, covering DC, Maryland, and Virginia
- PBRTV - Former sister site to DCRTV, covering Pittsburgh and western Pennsylvania
- VARTV - Robert Corbin’s outstanding coverage of radio and TV in Virginia
- Michiguide - Radio news, dials and histories from Michigan
- Northpine.com/Upper Midwest Broadcasting - All the news from Minnesota, Wisconsin, the Dakotas, Iowa and beyond
- CNY Radio - Daily scoop from Syracuse, Watertown, Utica and Ithaca
- Indiana Radio Watch - Blaine Thompson peruses the Hoosier state’s radio scene
- Northwest Broadcasters - Outside the region by about 3000 miles, but if you’re heading to Washington State or BC, you need to bring this page with you!
- 100000watts.com - From your friends at Inside Radio and updated daily by your own friendly NERW editor himself, the most comprehensive Web directory of AM, FM and TV in the US, Mexico and Canada
- w9wi.com - Doug Smith’s page, complete with an incredibly comprehensive TV station listing and links to many more useful lists (Mexican radio, anyone?)
- FCC AM Search - Beset by database problems, but it’s still the FCC
- FCC FM Search - Same deal, but for FM
- FCC TV Search - More of the same, but for TV and with fewer search options
- FCC CDBS Search - More updated FCC info, but much harder to use
- Radio-locator.com (formerly MIT List of Radio Stations on the Internet)
- New York Radio Message Board - Affiliated with Allan Sniffen’s 77WABC tribute site
- Radio-Info - Home to dozens of (mostly radio-fan) boards covering most of the U.S. and beyond
Radio and TV History Sites
- Boston Radio Archives - Hey, it’s my site — I can list it twice if I want!
- American Broadcast History - David Gleason’s magnificent collection of scanned Broadcasting Yearbooks and other vintage station directories and magazines.
- The Broadcasting Archive - Barry Mishkind’s “oldradio” project lives here, with articles on individual stations and markets in the early years of radio
- US Early Radio History - Thomas White brings scholarly high standards to the topic, including the best articles anywhere on early call letter assignments
- Bill Dulmage’s Radio/TV Archives - If it transmitted anywhere near Lake Ontario in the last forty years, Bill has pictures and sounds. Try again in a day or so if it doesn’t work — he’s having ISP problems lately
- Broadcasting in Chicago, 1921-1989 - Rich Samuels knows the Windy City’s radio and TV history better than anyone living, and he shares it here. Strong focus on NBC/WMAQ, Samuels’ home base for decades
- Jeff Miller’s Broadcasting History Pages - Documents, documents, and more great documents on the early days
- WABC Tribute Page - Top 40 radio as we know it wouldn’t have existed without Musicradio 77, and Allan Sniffen has left no aspect of its history untouched here
- Radioville - In which Jeff Roteman pays tribute to KQV, WLS, WTAE, 13Q, and the other great stations he enjoyed growing up in Pittsburgh
- The DuMont Television Network - Clarke Ingram’s black-and-white look at the little TV network that couldn’t
- San Francisco Radio History - From Doc Herrold to the present, John Schneider’s got it all right here
- Man From Mars - Ed Brouder chronicles New Hampshire’s WFEA, Hartford’s WDRC and more
- GGN Information Services - Norm Gagnon’s fascinating collection of documents and photos chronicling the early dayts of TV and FM in the Northeast
Radio Towers and Transmitters
- Jim Hawkins’ Radio Room - Like the tower on the main page of fybush.com? That’s WLW in Cincinnati, and you can learn much more about it, other Blaw-Knox towers, and the transmitter sites of metro New York here
- NECRAT - Mike Fitzpatrick’s new site looks at the towers and sites of western New England and beyond
- Michigan Broadcast Towers - Tom Bosscher’s seen most of the AM, FM and TV sites in Michigan, and he shares them here
- mb21 UK Transmitters - Imagine Site of the Week driving on the left side of the road and you get the idea…
Clubs and Organizations
- Worldwide TV-FM DX Association - Interested in DXing TV and FM? This is the group for you!