In this week’s issue… Francesa returns to WFAN, over local objections – Remembering Lana Jones – Quebec stations sold – Ontario broadcast veterans retire



*Was it a months-long publicity stunt? A failed attempt to secure a higher salary from a competitor? A power play between veterans of CBS Radio and new Entercom management? All of the above?

Whatever the case, Mike Francesa’s return to the NEW YORK airwaves over WFAN (660/101.9) went from tabloid rumor to reality in the space of just a few days last week, completely reversing a departure from WFAN that played out over two years, wrapping up with a farewell week of shows last December that drew massive media attention.

At the time, Francesa was clear that he was leaving WFAN but had no intention of retiring from sports broadcasting entirely, which no doubt meant that his agents at CAA were busily shopping his services around to the obvious places – ESPN Radio’s WEPN-FM (98.7), of course, as well as iHeart’s sports-heavy talker WOR (710) and perhaps also Cumulus talker WABC (770).

No other deal materialized, and now Francesa will be right back on the air at WFAN tomorrow afternoon. What happened, and why? Read on…


We have shipped piles of our 2021 Tower Site Calendar, and we’ll keep on shipping until it’s gone.

This is the 20th year we have been publishing our calendar. In addition to the beautiful cover shot of WEJL, we have photos from New Jersey, Nebraska, Texas, and much more!

You can get the regular calendar, or you can order a storage bag for it if you keep them, or you can get it signed by Scott (and get a complimentary bag).

And when you’re purchasing your calendar, don’t forget to take a look at the other great products in our store.


*Let’s stipulate two things here: first, that Francesa is, and has long been, a polarizing figure in the New York media community; and second, that the reporting in the New York tabloids probably ought to be taken with several grains of salt.

Here’s how it looks from where we sit, though – it seems pretty clear that something big changed when Entercom took over WFAN from CBS Radio just as Francesa was in the midst of his long-planned departure. We know that Entercom CEO David Field is a big fan of sports radio (he’s made on-air appearances on his hometown sports station, WIP in Philadelphia, to talk up the extension of Eagles football rights there), and it appears Francesa and his agents went straight to Field for negotiations once it became clear that a return to WFAN was probably the best remaining option for Francesa. Those negotiations cut out Mark Chernoff, WFAN’s PD (and Entercom’s head of sports programming), and while Chernoff later told Newsday and other outlets he was happy to have Francesa back, it doesn’t appear that was the case at first.

That’s understandable; after all, Chernoff expended lots of goodwill promoting WFAN’s revamped schedule in the new year, in particular the replacement “CMB” afternoon show starring Chris Carlin, Maggie Gray and Bart Scott. That show suffered the expected drop in audience after Francesa’s departure, and with Francesa’s return it won’t get the time it might have needed to find its groove, if it was ever going to get there.

For now, “CMB” will live on, awkwardly squeezed into a new 1-3 PM slot that cuts back WFAN’s existing Joe Benigno/Evan Roberts midday show by an hour and leads into Francesa’s new 3-6:30 PM shift. Will Entercom want to keep carrying all those salaries indefinitely? We’d bet the answer turns out to be no.

Will the audience welcome Francesa back? While there’s bound to be some resentment of his quick return after all that “retirement” buildup, his return will likely be a ratings boon for WFAN, which is also launching a companion digital presence that will include show archives and video streaming. (We’d expect to see Francesa’s show get a TV simulcast once again, too, as soon as negotiations with one or another of the city’s sports channels can be worked out.)

*Another New York talent who’s gone away and come back is Luis Jimenez, who’s gone once again after his second run in mornings on Univision’s WXNY (X96.3). Jimenez had been with Univision at predecessor WCAA (105.9) and then at WXNY from 2008 until 2014, returned to his previous home at SBS for a while in 2015, and then came back to WXNY from March 2017 until just last week. Chris Mambo appears to be holding down mornings now on WXNY.

And we’ve been remiss in not noting the death of Ken Dolan, who moved from Wall Street to Broadway in 1985 when he and his wife Daria became financial talk hosts at WOR (710). “The Dolans” became a staple of the talk lineup both locally on WOR and on the WOR Radio Network, eventually taking their insight to television as well at CNN, CNBC and “CBS This Morning.” After retiring a few years back, the Dolans moved to Florida, where Ken Dolan died from cancer on April 17. He was 75.

*Another WBZ obituary leads our MASSACHUSETTS news this week, and once again we’ll abandon any pretense of impartiality as we write about the stunning news Wednesday morning that Lana Jones had died suddenly overnight.

Jones had arrived at WBZ in 1991, a year before your editor, but with a much deeper well of experience. Her radio career started in Worcester in the 1970s at WAAF (107.3) and sister station WFTQ (1440), which had briefly been doing an all-news format that produced an impressive roster of talent. (That talent included Steve D’Agostino, who became Lana’s husband in 1983.)

Lana moved on to Boston radio, working at the earliest incarnation of WMJX (106.7) and later at WHDH (850) before joining WBZ as a weekend anchor and weekday reporter. In 27 years at WBZ, she was never flashy, never self-promoting, always dependable and universally respected by co-workers, competitors and those she covered. (The state gaming board, for instance, left a chair empty in her honor at a news conference right after the news of her death broke.)

Amidst all the recent chaos at WBZ, Lana soldiered on; her final assignment on Tuesday had been covering the wake for her former sports colleague, Gil Santos. She went home Tuesday night, complained of feeling ill, said D’Agostino in a Facebook post, woke up several times in the night and then collapsed in the hallway around 5 o’clock Wednesday morning. By the time she was taken to a Worcester hospital, her aorta had burst and she was gone.

A memorial celebration is set for September, on what would have been Lana and Steve’s wedding anniversary.

*Out west, we salute Ray Hershel, who marked 50 years on the air at Springfield’s channel 40 on April 15. When Hershel started at the station, it was WHYN-TV, paired with WHYN radio (560/93.1); he stayed on as a reporter through the TV station’s sale, its change to its current WGGB-TV calls and its eventual addition of Fox and CBS outlets.

*In VERMONT, the new owners at Burlington’s WCAX (Channel 3) made some cuts last week. Gray Television says it let six people go from the CBS affiliate, in what managers say is a push for efficiency. As at many smaller-market stations, that includes a move to “one-man bands” in the field, which explains why half of the job cuts were news photographers, among them 36-year veteran Bob Davis and his colleague Tyson Foster. Gray says no other cuts are planned right now at the station.

(And a reminder that Vermont media consumers value longevity: over at WVMT 620 in Burlington, not only did morning co-host Ernie Farrar recently mark 51 years on the air, but his co-host Charlie Papillo just hit the 20-year mark on their morning partnership.)

Down the road at Northeast Broadcasting’s “Point” (WNCS 104.7 Montpelier and satellites), music director/midday jock Mike Luoma is out after eight years with the station. No replacement has been named yet.

*Where are they now? Justin Tyler (Clapp) went from the PD chair at Great Eastern Broadcasting in NEW HAMPSHIRE and Vermont to the OM seat at Townsquare in Fort Collins, Colorado back in 2014, but that gig came to an end last week. “They say you aren’t officially in radio until this happens to you, so I guess I’m now officially in the business after 20 years,” he wrote in a Facebook post. “But here’s the thing: I’m completely fine with it.” He’s looking for a new gig now, and here’s hoping he finds one soon.

*CONNECTICUT Public TV wants to make a change at WEDW-TV (Channel 49), which has been licensed to Bridgeport ever since it went on the air more than 50 years ago. Now that WEDW shares its spectrum with commercial station WZME (Channel 43), which is also licensed to Bridgeport, it’s asking the FCC to allow it to change its official community of license from Bridgeport to Stamford.

What difference does that make? None at all, technically, since its transmitter will stay right where it has always been, up on Booth Hill in Trumbull. But from a regulatory point of view, WEDW’s signal will be more clearly part of the New York City DMA, which should make it easier for CPTV to continue to make the case that it should be available on satellite and cable platforms in the nation’s #1 market.

*In central PENNSYLVANIA, afternoon host Phil Smith is off the air at WJTL (90.3 Lancaster) after being arrested Thursday on 18 charges of raping a teenage girl. Police say Smith, 52, began assaulting the girl in 2013 when she was just 15, and first raped her three years later.

In a statement, WJTL management said “we only know what we read in the press. Please join us in praying for all those involved and that truth and justice will prevail.” Smith was ordered held in county jail on $250,000 bail.

*In happier news, Beasley’s WMMR (93.3 Philadelphia) marked its official 50th anniversary as a rock station on Sunday, celebrating the 1968 debut of “The Marconi Experiment,” its first venture into progressive rock programming. The celebration included daily noon retrospective shows from long-running midday jock Pierre Robert all last week, special “MMRchives” segments all day Saturday and a five-hour live shift from Robert on Sunday.

Philadelphia’s WURD (900) is again looking for a new morning show after cutting ties with the latest hosts of “Wake Up With WURD.” Chris “Flood the Drummer” Norris and Isaac “Ikey Raw” Gardner Sr. had been with the station only four months when they were removed from the morning show last Monday. Substitute hosts have been filling the shift, and WURD says Norris and Gardner will continue to be involved with the station in other roles.

*In French CANADA, RNC Media is dramatically downsizing, selling 10 FM stations (plus four repeaters) in Quebec to Cogeco, already one of the province’s biggest broadcasters. The C$18.5 million deal will leave RNC with only five remaining radio stations (CKLX “91.9 Sport” in Montreal, CHOI “Radio X” and CHXX “Pop 100.9” in Quebec and CFTX “Pop 96.5” and CHLX “Wow 97.1” in Gatineau/Ottawa), as well as TV stations in Gatineau and Abitibi/Temiscamingue.

For its C$18.5 million, Cogeco gets four “Planète” stations – CFGT 104.5 Alma, CHRL 99.5 Roberval, CHVD 100.3 Dolbeau-Mistassini, and CKXO Chibougamou – as well as two “Pop” stations (CJLA 104.9 Lachute and CHPR 102.1 Hawkesbury), two “Capitale Rock” signals (CJGO 102.1 La Sarre/CJGO-1 95.7 Rouyn-Noranda and CHGO 104.3 Amos/Val-d’Or), “WOW 96.5” (CHOA 96.5 Rouyn-Noranda/CHOA-1 103.5 Amos/CHOA-2 103.9 La Sarre) and “Radio X” CKYK (95.7 Saguenay)/CKYK-1 (96.3 Alma).

Steve Faguy speculates, with good reason, that Cogeco will move at least some of these signals to its “Rythme FM” network – and notes that the deal will put Cogeco radio outlets within 100 km of every major population center in Quebec except Rimouski and Sept-Iles.

*Up along Georgian Bay, Ross Kentner retired Friday after a remarkable 56-year career with Bayshore Broadcasting, retiring as general manager of the same station where he started as a high school volunteer, CFOS (560 Owen Sound). Kentner, now 76, was only the third general manager in CFOS history, overseeing massive growth for Bayshore that has included two more FM stations in Owen Sound and additional FM signals in five more nearby communities.

And down the road in Peterborough, CHEX-TV (Channel 12) says goodbye today to Graham Hart, who’s been a fixture there since 1973 (with a one-year break) as an anchor, manager, host of “Campus Quiz” and station ambassador. He says he’ll keep that last role, but won’t be on the air anymore. Hart says he’ll likely divide his time between Peterborough and his native Nova Scotia.


GROW WITH US! Fybush Media and RadioInsight have joined forces to provide a bigger ad sales platform for the broadcast and streaming industry. Are you the right fit to become our next sales professional? We’re seeking someone creative and energetic who knows his or her way around the radio, TV and streaming community. Generous commission and profit-sharing. Want to join our team? Let’s talk. isn’t a mere website.
We’re a community.

And we take care of our community members. Do you have a piece of equipment you want to sell? Or one you want to buy? Are you looking for a job? An employee? We can help you with all of those searches and more! We offer classified ads at reasonable prices, seen by people in every part of the industry. Contact Lisa for details.

From the NERW Archives

Yup, we’ve been doing this a long time now, and so we’re digging back into the vaults for a look at what NERW was covering one, five, ten, fifteen and twenty years ago this week, or thereabouts.

Note that the column appeared on an erratic schedule in its earliest years as “New England Radio Watch,” and didn’t go to a regular weekly schedule until 1997.

One Year Ago: May 1, 2017

*We’re back (if not yet fully rested up yet) from this year’s NAB Show in Las Vegas, and we’ll bring you our inside report on what we saw and heard in a NERW Extra for subscribers later this week.

But what was going on while we were in Vegas (and then on a cross-country road trip in the rain?)

*In MASSACHUSETTS, the big surprise of the week was the abrupt exit of WBZ (1030 Boston) morning anchor Joe Mathieu, who’d been one of the rising stars at the news station as it prepares to change hands as part of the purchase of CBS Radio by Entercom.

Mathieu had made his name as the founding PD of SiriusXM’s “POTUS” (Politics of the United States) talk channel, where he worked from 2007 until joining WBZ in 2011. He’d also worked for WXTK on Cape Cod, WRKO in Boston, Metro Networks and CBS MarketWatch before being picked to replace Ed Walsh, whose short run in the morning anchor chair followed Gary LaPierre’s four-decade tenure there.

As the WBZ lineup has shifted in recent years (especially with the departures of veteran afternoon anchors Diane Stern and Anthony Silva, both voluntary retirements as they reached their sixties), it was easy to imagine Mathieu becoming a long-running fixture there – until the sudden announcement late last week that he was leaving effective with Friday’s broadcast.

NERW has learned that when Mathieu gave his notice several weeks ago, it came as a surprise to the station, which tried to keep him on board. We’re hearing from several sources that the anchor’s contract renewal was the sticking point, and that both sides were simply unable to reach a mutually-acceptable deal. Despite what we’d initially speculated in this space, Mathieu’s exit wasn’t connected to cuts that CBS has made in other markets – or to the impending Entercom merger.

*In western NEW YORK, Larry Levite’s death last week brought memories of his many years as owner and publisher of “Buffalo Spree,” the monthly lifestyle magazine he’d owned since the late 1980s. But for those of us in the radio community, Levite is also fondly remembered for his revival of WBEN (930) and WBEN-FM (102.5), the stalwart stations he bought from the Buffalo Evening News in 1978. Levite, who’d worked in radio sales and management, brought a fresh outlook to the stations, reinforcing WBEN’s news primacy and turning WBEN-FM into a potent music presence as “Rock 102.” He sold the stations in 1984; he was 77 when he died last Wednesday.

Five Years Ago: April 29, 2013

*Radio regulation in CANADA can be a funny thing sometimes. Just ask the CBC, which abruptly had to pull its local morning show off the air in Kitchener, Ontario, only to restore it at week’s end.

cbla-fm-2There was never any dispute over the CBC’s ability to broadcast over CBLA-FM-2 (89.1 Paris), the CBC Radio One outlet serving the Kitchener-Waterloo area – just over which programming was allowed to be broadcast on that signal based on the station’s existing license. When the FM station went on the air back in 1999, it did so as one of several new FM “transmitters” attached to the license for CBLA-FM (99.1 Toronto), the FM replacement for the old CBL (740) and its wide-area AM signal.

Last November, the CBC applied to convert the 89.1 signal from a “transmitter” of CBLA-FM to its own separate license, which would allow (and indeed require) the station to originate its own programming rather than relaying the Toronto local programs. In March, the CBC made a high-profile launch of a new morning show for Kitchener-Waterloo on both 89.1 and online. And then, last week, a complaint from a rival commercial broadcaster made the CRTC aware that the CBC had made that on-air launch before the agency had actually approved the November application to grant a new license for a “station,” rather than a “transmitter,” at Paris.

That’s why, for a few days last week, the CBLA-FM-2 signal was back to rebroadcasting the Toronto morning show while the local Kitchener-Waterloo show was being heard only via streaming audio. Fortunately for the CBC, its friends at the CRTC moved quickly: on Thursday, they granted the November application for a new station license for 89.1, and by Friday morning, the local show was back on the air for Kitchener-Waterloo and vicinity.

Ten Years Ago: April 28, 2008

*One of the legendary top 40 voices of the northeast has been silenced, far too young. “Big Ron” O’Brien, whose career included stops at Philadelphia’s WFIL, WYXR/WLCE and WOGL and New York’s WXLO, WNBC and WTJM, died Sunday morning (April 27) of complications from pneumonia.

O’Brien began his broadcast career in 1969 at KUDL in Kansas City, and in the typical progression of the day, he quickly moved through Denver (KTLK), Chicago (WCFL) and Atlanta (WQXI). By 1974, he was in New York, doing nights at “99X,” and by 1976 he was in Philadelphia at WFIL, where he spent three years.

O’Brien then moved to Los Angeles, where he worked at KFI and KIIS, then to St. Louis and Denver (with a brief interlude at WNBC in the early 1980s) before returning to Philadelphia in 1996, where he worked at WYXR (104.5, later WLCE). In 1999, O’Brien was part of the inaugural airstaff at New York’s WTJM (Jammin 105); in 2002, he joined Philadelphia’s WOGL (98.1) for afternoon drive, and it was there that he remained for what turned out to be the last six years of his career.

O’Brien had been ill for several months, WOGL says. He was just 56.

*Elsewhere in PENNSYLVANIA, the sale of WNTJ (850 Johnstown) from Forever to Birach Broadcasting has closed, and as of midnight last night, the news-talk format that had been on 850 (and simulcast on WNTW 990 in Somerset) has moved back to its former home on 1490 in Johnstown. The 1490 signal, which holds the WPRR calls long heard in Altoona, has been running an all-sports format; it returned to Forever’s hands last fall in a purchase from Nick Galli’s 2510 group. The WNTJ calls will return to 1490 as well, probably later this week.

So what happens now with 850? The $300,000 purchase by Birach includes not only the license for 850 (and for another Forever station, WCND 940 in Shelbyville, KY) but also the 115-acre tower site in Paint Township, Somerset County. Forever was reportedly eager to be free of the hassles of maintaining that nine-tower site, easily the most complex directional array in the northeast, and NERW suspects Birach isn’t in this deal with the intent of maintaining the 10 kW DA-1 Johnstown signal on 850, either. Birach has interests elsewhere in the region (including WWCS 540 in Canonsburg, near Pittsburgh, and WTOR 770 Youngstown, NY, serving Toronto) – could the company have plans to move the Johnstown signal elsewhere? That would be a challenging task, since that nine-tower directional array shoehorns the Johnstown 850 into a tight squeeze between other 850 signals in Cleveland (WKNR) and Boston (WEEI), not to mention 860s in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Toronto and plenty of other nearby-on-the-dial stations that would need to be protected.

In the meantime, there’s a loop repeating over (and over and over) on 850 directing listeners up the dial to 1490 – and no indication at all on the WNTJ website that anything has changed.


*The big news in MASSACHUSETTS last week came from the TV management front, where WHDH-TV/WLVI VP/general manager Randi Goldklank was all over the tabloids after being arrested at Logan Airport following an incident during a flight last Sunday night. Goldklank told state police that a male passenger sitting next to her had been harassing her; Delta Airlines told police she had been acting “unruly” aboard the plane. A police report claimed Goldklank told the officers who met the plane, “I’ll have a news crew down here in minutes and you will lose your (bleeping) jobs.”

Goldklank was arrested for disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and assault and battery on a police officer. She’s on leave from the stations and apparently in rehab. At least for now, station owner Sunbeam Broadcasting is standing behind Goldklank, who was reportedly on medication for depression after the recent death of her mother. Former WHDH-TV general manager Mike Carson, who’d been consulting for the station, is back as interim VP/GM in Goldklank’s absence.

Fifteen Years Ago: April 28, 2003

Just in to NERW is word that Jerry Williams has died. The dean of Boston talk radio, Williams came to town in 1957, already a decade into a career that began in Bristol, Virginia in 1946. At Mac Richmond’s WMEX (1510), Williams’ night shift was a sharp departure from the top 40 the station played the rest of the day. When Williams took the air at 10 PM, WMEX turned into Boston’s first talk station, as Williams interviewed the newsmakers of the day and took listeners’ phone calls.
In 1965, Williams departed for Chicago’s WBBM, but he was back in town four years later, bringing his talk show back to the nighttime airwaves at WBZ (1030), where he stayed until October 1976, when he headed to New York for a brief stint at WMCA (570), followed by four years at Philadelphia’s WWDB (96.5).

In 1981, Williams was back on the air again in Boston as part of the original talk lineup at WRKO (680), the station that was once WMEX’s competitor in the waning days of AM top 40. Williams, now ensconced in an afternoon drive shift, quickly became the best-known and most controversial talker in town, using his show as a forum to oppose mandatory seat belt laws and, most memorably, to support a 1990 tax revolt (launching, in the process, the political careers of Barbara Anderson of Citizens for Limited Taxation – not to mention the radio career of the Herald’s Howie Carr, who would later make that WRKO shift his own).

In 1994, Carr replaced Williams in the afternoon, with the veteran host moving to mid-mornings on WRKO (a shift he derided as “The World’s Shortest Talk Show”); by January 1997, Williams had been relegated to a weekend slot, and by 1998 he was gone from WRKO and living in retirement on the South Shore.

Williams couldn’t stay silent for long, though. In January 2000, he resurfaced as part of an ambitious talk lineup on the “new” WMEX (1060 Natick), but health problems got in the way, and he was off the air there within two months. A stroke in April 2001 further weakened him, but not enough to keep him from trying a daily show on WROL (950 Boston) last December and even making a return to WRKO to do some weekend fill-in this past February.

It was October 20, 1927 when the callsign “WEVD” was first heard on the NEW YORK radio dial, on a little 500-watt signal way up there at 1220 kilocycles – and ever since then, those calls have been heard somewhere on the dial in market number one. But after more than 75 years and three distinct spots on the dial (the original WEVD, which landed on 1300, then on 1330, and is today’s WWRV; WEVD-FM, which lasted on 97.9 from the fifties until 1988; and the former WHN/WMGM/WHN/WFAN/WUKQ on 1050, which took the WEVD calls in a trade for the FM signal in 1988), the initials of famed labor leader Eugene Victor Debs are about to bow out for good. It’s no surprise, really, that Disney will change the calls when it formally converts its LMA of WEVD (1050) into a $78 million purchase that’s expected to close within the week; after all, the WEVD calls have long since ceased to have much relevance to New York radio listeners, and they’ve only been heard once an hour since 1050 flipped to ESPN radio in September 2001. So “WEPN” it will be at 1050 on the dial…and only those few of us who feel a deep passion for New York radio history are likely to spend much time reflecting on the loss of the fifth-oldest callsign in continuous New York use. (Only WOR, WNYC, WMCA and WWRL have been around longer.)

Twenty Years Ago: April 30, 1998

Boston has lost one of its legendary broadcasters. Carl DeSuze died Wednesday night at the age of 83.

DeSuze was WBZ’s morning host from the 1940s until the early 1980s, a record that’s unlikely ever to be broken. His urbane on-air manner and affection for all things European made for an unlikely fit with WBZ’s top-40 format in the sixties, but the combination worked, and DeSuze remained on top of the ratings for years. In addition to his duties as “New England’s Alarm Clock,” DeSuze traveled the world, relating his experiences in lectures across New England. A Maine native, DeSuze was proud of his Bowdoin education. After college, he worked at several Maine radio stations before moving to Boston and WBZ.

On a personal note, your editor had the opportunity to work with DeSuze while helping to prepare WBZ’s 75th anniversary celebration in 1996. While DeSuze’s health was already failing, he was eager to share his memories and his memorabilia. I’ll long treasure the memory of spending several afternoons at his home in Concord, as he sifted through several boxes of photos and posters, recounting the stories of celebrities interviewed and distant capitals visited. DeSuze’s death follows that of Gordon Swan by only a few months; together, they represented an era of WBZ history that’s now all but lost.

Listeners to Boston’s number-three public radio station will be hearing some changes come June. WUMB (91.9, simulcast on WFPB Falmouth and WBPR Worcester) is abandoning its nighttime smooth-jazz “Quiet Storm” format in favor of a mixture of blues, world music, gospel, and reggae. Days are changing too, as the acoustic traditional folk is joined by “electric folk” (their words!) and world music. Could WUMB be taking a cue from public radio stations like Philadelphia’s WXPN or Spindale, North Carolina’s WNCW, which have found new audiences for public radio with their folkish spins on the AAA format? We’re looking forward to giving the new 91.9 a listen…

And we mourn the passing of two veteran broadcast engineers. Charlie Hallinan died last Wednesday at his home in Binghamton. Hallinan was one of the founders of the Society of Broadcast Engineers, and built many of the Southern Tier’s radio stations. And Mike Venditti of Cherry Hill, N.J. died at home on Monday. Venditti was a legend in the world of superpower AM, having rebuilt border blaster XERF (1570 Ciudad Acuna, Mexico) in the 1970s and returned it to the air. Over the years, Mike built 57 AM stations. He’ll be deeply missed.